Monday, December 20, 2010

impending departure

Currently sitting at the kitchen table finishing off a bottle of Chianti and feeling remarkably calm about leaving home tomorrow for what will most likely be the greatest trip of my life. Back in May I found myself nearing the two year mark at my magazine job, frustrated, confused, and a mix of other emotions. Where am I going in my career? What am I doing with my life? Why is everything in NY so damn expensive? And how am I STILL single?

So I booked a one-way ticket to Australia.

Perhaps it was my line of work that inspired me (writing about travel for Travel + Leisure magazine from a cubicle in midtown Manhattan can only be satisfying for so long), or the semester I studied abroad in Rome that exposed me to so many great cities in Europe. It was this deep desire for change, and not just a new job or new apartment type of change, but something totally exciting and different.

Who knew I had it in me! I certainly didn't. But the more I realize how much this trip will be taking me out of my comfort zone the more confident I am that it's a great decision and necessary at this point in my life. Tomorrow I leave for LA for a few days to connect with family and friends, eat organic, local LA food, and do some last-minute shopping in the states before heading out west. Veryyyy west. Actually come to think of it, the farthest west I've ever been!

Bon Voyage to me!