Thursday, January 27, 2011

Australian Museum


The most amazing exhibition is on at the Australian Museum called Wildlife Photographer of the Year 2010. It showcases about 100 images of animals and the wilderness from thousands of competition entries. Having just learned how to use a professional camera, I loved reading about how each picture was shot - some of the photographers returned to a specific location for years before snapping the winning image. The photo above is called Giant Beachcomber taken by Thomas Peschak. He said about the photograph:

‘Tortoises are known to have made sea crossings between islands, and so I was pleased to be able to use the ocean as a backdrop. I lay in her path on the sand, using an extreme wide-angle lens. The moment I took the shot, I had to roll out of her way to avoid her clambering right over me.’