Thursday, January 27, 2011

Happy Australia Day!




Yesterday was Australia Day, which I spent drinking strawberry champagne cocktails and eating a feast - grilled fish, sweet potato, zucchini, pumpkin and beet salad, caprese salad, and pavlova - before heading to Darling Harbour to watch the Australia Day fireworks. Above are a few pictures of the harbour during the daytime, so imagine that open space plus 20,000 people proudly waving the Australian flag. It was exciting to be a part of the festivities, and the fireworks were quite a showing! I may even go as far as saying they were the best fireworks I've ever seen.

The harbour itself is quite a touristy area, which I found disappointing. Perhaps it wasn't always chain restaurants and shops, McDonalds, and Starbucks. It was fun to watch the kids play in the water, though. Too bad I'm no longer at an age where it's appropriate to splash around and join in on the fun.