Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Back in Sydney!

From Cairns Val and I flew to Sydney. With six days and lots to see, we hit up the northern beaches, markets, Sydney Opera House and Harbour Bridge walk. Though I spent my first six weeks in Australia getting to know this city I was so excited to be back, see Rose again, and show Val all the sites.

Highlights from my week:

Taste of Sydney festival
Bondi to Coogee Walk x4
Drinking bottles of Shiraz Cabernet watching the sun set over Bondi
Bats in the Botanical Gardens
Being fairly certain we saw a couple of bats having mid-afternoon sex
Watching Val devour blueberry pancakes at Pancakes on the Rocks
Rose, Jess, and their adorable apartment
Tuna and salmon sashimi at the Sydney Fish Market
Hugos pizza at Manly: seared kingfish, artichoke puree, eggplant, onions, pomegranate seeds, and artichoke chips
Eucalyptus laundry detergent
100 grams of almonds for $1.75 at the Paddy’s Markets
Free surf lessons at Maroubra! Went something like this:

Scene: bus from Central to Wynyard, 11 p.m. Friday night, Val and I done up in our backpacking gear.
Pedro: What are you girls doing on Monday?
Val: Nothing.
Shira: No plans.
Pedro: Me and some friends get together every Monday morning for breakfast and then we teach surf lessons. Would you want to come?
Val and Shira: Umm, yes please!

My Dad asked me if I got up while surfing for 10 seconds. Sadly, I didn't even get up for one second, but it was still an absolute blast.