Friday, March 25, 2011

Welcome to New Zealand!


New Zealand! I could not wait to get here. After three months in Australia I was looking forward to a change of scenery. But before I get into things, let's discuss the debacle I experienced at the airport i.e. forgetting to declare a piece of fruit in my bag on my customs form.

FAILURE TO DECLARE GOODS IN YOUR POSSESSION SUBJECT TO THE BIOSECURITY ACT 1993

This letter is a formal warning for the offence of failing to declare goods and/or giving false of misleading information to a Biosecurity inspector when requested, namely

1. Plant or plant products including fruit namely 1 x apple [Country of Origin] Australia

Upon arrival in New Zealand you are required by law to declare specific items to an inspector, either in written form, or verbally, or both.
Despite this requirement you failed to declare items in your possession as required in your passenger arrival/declaration card, or in response to questions from a Biosecurity Inspector.
Failure to declare specified items is a clear breach of the Biosecurity Act 1993.

The unintentional illegal introduction of animal or plant products into New Zealand is an offence punishable by an instant fine of up to NZ $400.

Lesson #1 learned in my first 30 minutes in New Zealand: DO NOT mess with this country's government. I'm going to thank my New York upbringing on this one. I begged, pleaded, cried, argued, and somehow maneuvered my way out of the $400 fine, and swore to never "forget" a piece of fruit in my carry-on luggage when flying internationally again.

In the words of my friend Jackie: "most expensive apple ever."