Friday, December 24, 2010

Day 1


My first official day in Sydney! Woke up around 4:30 a.m. Read Bill Byron's "In A Sunburned Country". Ate Weetabix for breakfast. Did last-minute Christmas shopping with Rose and Jess. Perused Australian Target and Kmart. Should be napping...

The shops were so packed today, and we learned some of the malls will be open through the night in preparation for Christmas tomorrow. Crazy! I spent the morning on the hunt for Tim Tams, these Australian chocolate biscuit-like cookies that are delicious and very dangerous.

Tonight is the annual (drunken) Christmas-eve celebration at a local bar in Rose's town, which is pretty much what everyone's been talking about since I arrived yesterday. Rose has talked it up quite a bit, and I'm curious to see how it holds up to my Wisconsin days.

Looking forward to the big Christmas feast tomorrow!