Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Sydney so soon!

I'm feeling quite anxious, mainly due to my fear of flying (can't I just teleport to Sydney?) and this storm in LA isn't helping!

Thoughts before my flight:

LA → Fiji → Sydney.
I hope my bags make it.
Saw a hilarious movie today, City Island. Great performance by Andy Garcia.
LAX international terminal eerily reminds me of the airport in Rome.
Sitting in row 28.
Eight is my lucky number.
[Safe flight safe flight safe flight]
I hope Hugh Jackman is sitting next to me.
If not Hugh, than a man who looks very much like him.
Appears to be a lot of families on my flight. Who takes their kids to Fiji for winter break?
Considered upgrading to business class so inquired at check-in: $750
So instead put on hot pink lipstick at the duty free. Feeling much more prepared for my flight.
I will never get to experience Dec. 22, 2010.
Please let there be good movies.
Please let the ambient kick in quickly.

So long sweet USA, I'm all packed up and heading out!

More important than packing a bag full of money, pack a bag full of patience and curiosity; allow yourself – encourage yourself – to be sidetracked and to get lost. There’s no such thing as a bad trip, just good travel stories to tell back home. Always travel with a smile and remember that you’re the one with the strange customs visiting someone else’s country. Relying on the kindness of strangers isn’t naïve – there are good people where you go. And, finally, the more time you spend coming to understand the ways of others, the more you’ll understand yourself. The journey abroad reflects the one within – the most unknown and foreign and unmapped landscape of them all, the ultimate terra incognita. As Mr. Twain said, ‘Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did. Do throw of the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.’
Patricia Schultz, 1,000 Places to See Before you Die