Thursday, February 24, 2011

Fraser Island

Lake McKenzie, one of many freshwater lakes on the island.

Rainforest.

A dingo, Australia'a native wild dog. They are not friendly, and will gladly rip your tent open, which I learned on my trip.

Champagne pools.

Seventy-Five Mile Beach.

So Fraser Island is the largest sand island in the world, home to unique and beautiful lakes, rainforest, animals, and vistas. However, the only way to experience Fraser Island is by camping (definition: tents, bugs, wilderness, bugs, peeing in the woods, bugs, and in Australia, wild dingos), and those close to me know very well I am not a fan of such overnight trips. Nevertheless, this journey is about embracing a new culture and putting myself - in this case - WAY out of my comfort zone, so I fought through the mosquitoes and greasy hair for three days to appreciate this natural wonder. 

As someone once eloquently put it "you can take the girl out of the city, but you can't take the city out of the girl".